This dish is so easy and incredible there’s no reason not to make it.
Carbonara is one of those dishes that all comes together in one pan, takes 20-30 minutes total, and is full of flavor, texture, and ooey-gooeyness. I love eating this dish out, specifically at Mia Tapas, where they serve it with an egg yolk on top, but it’s also super fun and easy to make at home. Let’s do it:
- 1 pound of pasta of choice (specifically a pasta like rigatoni or spaghetti that the sauce coats easily, but any pasta works)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- package of pancetta or a few slices of bacon
- cup of Parmesan cheese, or 1/2 and 1/2 of parm and parmigiano reggiano
- 2 Cups of reserved pasta water
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Parsley for topping (fresh or dry works)
- 3 egg yolks and 2 full eggs
- 1 yolk for topping
I didn’t take pictures of the cooking process, but it’s pretty straightforward. heat a large pot of salted water till boiled and add in pasta, once the pasta is added, heat a large skillet with pancetta and cook until fat is rendered, add in garlic and cook till it turns translucent.
Remove pasta from water and into skillet once it becomes Al dente (7-8 minutes). Combine in pan and add a considerable amount of black pepper, taste to see if salt is needed. Reserve a few cups of pasta water. In a separate small bowl, whisk cheese and eggs till combined. Remove skillet from heat and pour in egg mixture. Toss till combined, making sure eggs don’t scramble, slowly add pasta water to get a glossy, creamy consistency.
Add into large serving bowl and garnish with parsley and final egg yolk, then serve!
This dish is so rich and creamy yet so simple. I enjoyed eating it just as much as making it and can’t wait to cook it again. Go try this recipe and let me know what you think!